How To Disconnect Stripe
Modified on: Wed, 20 Feb, 2019 at 10:10 AM
There are a few reasons why you might need to disconnect your Stripe integration from Thinkific:
- Switch to a different Stripe account
- Switch to Paypal
- Use an external payment provider
- If this is the case, we recommend setting up the other payment provider first before disconnecting Stripe
- See Alternate Payment Options for details
Disconnecting Stripe when you have already been accepting payments on your site is not recommended. If you need to disconnect, we want to ensure the process runs as smoothly as possible. In order to do that, our support team will gladly handle the disconnection for you.
Before we do that, there are a few things to be aware of:
- If you do not connect a new Stripe account, you will not be able to change your site currency from our default USD currency setting.
- If any of your students are currently on a payment/subscription plan for a course or bundle - their enrollment in the course/bundle will be disconnected from the subscription in your original Stripe account. What that means is that they will continue to be billed in Stripe, but their enrollment in Thinkific will not renew on the new payments. If you have existing payment plans / subscriptions that are still active, please let us know and we can discuss your options for switching Stripe accounts. Alternatively, if you do not plan to add a new Stripe account you should cancel these subscriptions in Stripe before making the disconnection. If you have concerns with this please reach out and we can help.
- Once we disconnect your Stripe account, you will want to reconnect a new Stripe account right away to ensure that any purchases made on your site have a place to go. If a student makes a purchase while you do not have a Stripe account connected, it is difficult and takes some time for us to recover those funds for you. We recommend only disconnected your Stripe account when you are not actively promoting your site / expecting course sales. Otherwise, let us know a specific time that would work for you to disconnect the Stripe account so you can instantly connect a new one.
- After you have reconnected your Stripe account, you need to re-send the pricing options for your courses and bundles to the new Stripe account. To do this, you just need to go into each price for every course/bundle you have, click 'edit' on the price, and then press the save button to send this to the new Stripe account.
If all of that sounds okay please send a note our support team with the following information and we can disconnect the Stripe account for you:
1. Please ensure you are emailing us from the Site Owner account email as we cannot make payment processing changes to a site without the owner's consent.
2. Please include a link directly to your Thinkific site to confirm which site you wish disconnected from Stripe.
3. Please confirm you have reviewed this article (you can link to it) and that you understand the effects of disconnecting Stripe. If you're not sure let us know and we'd be happy to clarify for you.
More About Payment Integrations
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback