Menu

Adding Social Media Follow Buttons to Your Site

Social media icons are a great way to improve the visibility of your business online. Below we show you how to generate social media follow buttons for the most common social networks.

How to generate social media follow buttons

1. Twitter Follow Button

Visit https://publish.twitter.com/# and select "Twitter Buttons" to customize your button's featured account (i.e. the account you want people to follow), size, and language. Then copy and paste the HTML code it generates into where you want the button to appear on your Thinkific site. (Note: For more customization options, such as showing your follower count next to the button, check out Twitter's documentation here.)

2. LinkedIn Follow Company Plugin

Build your Company Profile Plugin by visiting https://developer.linkedin.com/plugins/company-profile-plugin, entering your company name, and selecting your desired display mode. You can choose to display everything in-line (see the example below), or go for a hover effect (when hovered over, the simple follow button expands to show more information about your company). You can also choose whether you want visitors to see a list of their LinkedIn connections who work at your company. Then grab the code and you're ready to to embed the plugin on your site.

3. Youtube Subscribe Button

To create a YouTube Subscribe Button, visit https://developers.google.com/youtube/youtube_subscribe_button, enter the name of your company's YouTube channel, select a button size and color theme, decide whether you want to display your logo, and decide whether you want to display your follower count shown or hidden. Then copy and paste the code onto your Thinkific site where you'd like the button to appear.

4. Facebook Follow Button 

Visit https://developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/follow-button to customize your button. Then generate the code (available in HTML5, XFBML, IFRAME, or a URL), and place it on your website where you want your Follow Button to appear.

For more information on how to create social media buttons, check out this article by Hubspot.

And please comment below if you have any questions/extra tips at all!

1 person has this question

I see where you can generate the button, but how can I place them on my home page?

Hi Maria!

For course/bundle landing pages (and any other pages with a WYSIWYG editor), you can paste the embed code into the code (<>) view of the text editor. For the site homepage, it's a little trickier because this doesn't have a WYSIWYG editor. If you're familiar with HTML, though, you can do it using our Themes feature.

Sorry as I know this isn't as simple as it could be. You'll be pleased to know that we are currently working on a product update that will allow you to more easily customize all pages of your site. Keep an eye out for news on that over the next month or so!

And if you have any questions at all, feel free to get in touch.

Thanks!

Catherine

Can you give an example of where we could add a Twitter button to the site header, footer, or other convenient area on a theme?

Hi there!

If you wanted to add specific HTML code that will add the Twitter button to the Site pages, you would need to access the Theme Editor via Themes in the left side of the Admin Dashboard. From there, under Sections, you could start with Page Header as this is the header section that would show on all pages.  Also available in the Sections would be Footer which would be on all pages in your site. Note though that these pages are in HTML so you would need to work with a person comfortable with HTML and CSS.

How do I add an email icon to the footer? I currently can only add 3 social media links which I am using. Is there a way to add an email icon?

Hi Timothy

You should be able to do this via the Home Page/Footer and Social Link in that you can chose one of the small icons and use a Mailto link. If you are having challenges with this, please send us an email through our Help Desk!

Thanks!