Menu

What triggers course completion and certificate delivery?

I'm wondering what goes on behind the scenes with course completion. I read this article but was hoping for some additional clarification.

I have a course that has an "Estimated Time to Complete" of 1 hour.

I also have a quiz that "Requires a Passing Grade" of 70%

I have three chapters  with some multimedia pages and some text pages.

What will ultimately trigger the delivery of  the certificate? Does the person have to have a green checkmark by each of the content pages in the course? I noticed that by taking the quiz alone, and getting 70% that it did not trigger the certificate delivery. Any specific insight here would be great.

On a similar note, I haven't seen a feature where you select certain content pages as *REQUIRED* while having other pages optional. I think this relates to the idea of having prerequisites though, which is another discussion. Any insight here would be helpful

2 people have this question

Hey Jordan!

Happy to help.

For a course to be 100% complete, there needs to be green tick for each lesson. For some lesson types, that just means hitting the green NEXT button in the bottom right of the course player. But for others - e.g. quizzes - the student will also need to pass the quiz to get the green tick.

Once the course is 100% complete, the student will be able to claim their completion certificate.

We don't have the concept of required vs non-required lessons right now, but it's definitely something we're considering for the future (go here to add your vote).

For now, if you have some non-compulsory lessons I'd recommend combining them into a single Downloads lesson at the end of the course (like a "Bonuses" section).

If you have something specific that you're trying to achieve here, then our support team will find a solution for you - reach them directly here.

Thanks!

Catherine

1 person likes this
Two questions:
One: I have an optional downloads section at the end of my coursework and--even though they are optional--students still seem to have to click on them in order to be 100% done with the course. Is there any way to fix that so that no one has to click on optional downloads to complete the course.

Two: Regarding completing courses, is there any way to alert a student to log-off of a course once he/she has downloaded a certificate of completion? Also, how can i prevent students from logging back on to a course again at any point once they are finished and have downloaded a certificate?

Hi Dalton!

To answer your questions:

1. You could take out the optional material and place it onto a course by itself. In this way students can access it whenever they without affecting the progress of the actual course. You can also place the two courses in a bundle to make sure that students are enrolled in both when they buy your program.

2. You could add an expiry date on your course price so that at the time period, they student will automatically lose access. This also create urgency for the student to complete the course within an appropriate time frame.

Hope this helps!

We want to offer product samples after each chapter once they have a passing grade on their chapter quiz. Could we have the option of being notified in this case so that we can follow up?

Hi there!

If you separate the chapters into individual courses, you can use the course completion email as a notification. Simply add your email into the CC field. In this way once the email is sent out, you're also notified when the student achieved a passing grade to complete the course. 

Login to post a comment