Menu

How to change "Free Trial" to "Preview"

My customers are confused by "Free Trial" and I want to change it to "Preview." How do I do it? 

I posted this on your Facebook discussion group and Catherine said to post it here with a screen grab. See attached image.

Thanks!

Jill

Hi Jill!

Happy to help.

You can change what the button for "Free Trial" says in your theme under Snippets > course_landing_page_action_buttons

Replace the line shown in the screenshot below with your chosen text: 

blob1476641036030.png

E.g. here's an example where I've changed it to say Preview:

blob1476641240870.png

Once you've saved your changes (hit File > Save) and enabled your theme, the Free Trial button will now display your customized text:

blob1476641425180.png

Thanks... but I have a new problem. Themes have changed and I can't find with absolute certainty which theme is active. After I logged in, I went to the "Psychology of Color Symbolism course and then to Design. I see that the "Default Landing Page" is Active. After that I went to Themes and then "My Themes." See the screen grab of the active theme So next, . when I click on Edit. I don't see line 12 or anything like it. (See screen grab #2) Do I have to sign up for a new theme? If so, which one is closest to the Default Theme that appears to be active. Am totally confused and don't wan't to apply a new theme or to mess with the html code to change "Free Trial" to "Preview." Please help! Which Theme am I using?? Or which Theme should I update to?

Hi Jill!

The active theme is the one that you're seeing listed at the top of the themes page.

You can then select the "Edit HTML/CSS button" to make your changes.

blob1476808522631.png

Line numbers may differ slightly between different themes, but in the screenshot that you sent it is Line 12 that you need to replace.

I.e. replace the line below with your chosen text:

{{ 'liquid.partials.course_landing_page_action_buttons.link_free_trial' | translate }}

I hope that helps, but if you need a hand please contact the support team and we can give you some further pointers :)

Thanks!

Catherine

Hello Catherine,

Thanks for another speedy reply. Yes, I figured out that this was my active theme but I didn't want to mess with the code.

My last question is: What part of the line you cited should I replace? Is it everything including both brackets at the beginning and end of the line? Or just the text inside the brackets. I don't want to mess things up, knowing how sensitive hand-editing is.

Jill

Hi Catherine,

That worked! Thanks for bearing with me. I know from experience that deleting the wrong line of code can wreak havoc and I wanted to be absolutely sure that I didn't screw it all up. Btw, I searched all over for a SAVE button after editing the snippet and eventually found it in the pull-down menu under File. Huge thanks, once again.

Jill

Two  last questions! 

First, it looks like my "Active Theme" applies to all my courses. Just wondering if there's a way to use a newer theme for a different course? Second,  If I change my Active Theme to one of the newer themes for the course landing page, do I have to find the snippet and edit it again to replace "Free Trial" with "Preview"? Thanks again for your great support!

Hi Jill,

I've responded to your last new questions in a new thread to keep this one on topic. Here's a link to that thread: http://help.thinkific.com/discussions/topics/313982

Thanks!

Catherine

Got it! Thanks again for all the support.

See attached. I changed the "Free Trial" to "Preview". Thanks for that. Now, what about changing the "Buy" text? 

Capture.PNG
(113 KB)

Hey Aaron!

You can the solution to changing the buy button text here: http://help.thinkific.com/support/discussions/topics/313422

Let me know if you need any extra help here.

- Aaron

I tried to change the Free Trial button to View Syllabus, following the directions provided above and nothing happens. I've gone back and checked the line in the Snippet to see if the change was saved and it is, but my next text is not showing up.

Can you help me with this?

Hi there!

Sure, happy to help -

I checked out your site and it looks like you're currently using the Mountain Branded theme.

To change the landing page buttons for the Mountain theme, you need to go to a slightly different place -  the snippet will be called something like:

Snippets > mountain-branded...[theme version no]...course_landing_page_action_buttons

Find this line in the snippet:

{{ 'liquid.partials.course_landing_page_action_buttons.link_free_trial' | translate }}

Make your changes as you did before and save them.

The buttons should now be updated!

Please let us know if that helps.

Cheers,

Catherine

Okay, thanks so much. I was able to get this to work for me.

Two related questions.

1. When I click on the View Syllabus button, it then says, enroll in the free trial of [Course Name]. Is there anyway to change this message so that it is in sync with what the button says, i.e. 'View the Course Syllabus for [Course Name]?

2. Does someone always have to create a profile on the site in order to be able to complete this step in the process, regardless what you call it?

Login to post a comment