Menu

How can I add presentations to my course?

There are a lot of different ways that you can create presentations for your Thinkific course. The best option for you will really depend on what you're looking for in terms of student experience.

To help you decide, below we've included an overview of the main options...

1. Presentation lesson type

Thinkific has its own, built-in presentation creator that allows you to upload your Powerpoint and Keynote slides as a PDF file and then record audio over each slide.

In the course player one slide will be displayed to the student at a time with the audio auto-playing, and they can hit 'Next Slide' to navigate through the presentation (example here).

More information on the presentation lesson type can be found here.

2. Screen recording software

You can also create video presentations by recording your screen with the slides on it and your audio at the same time.

The difference with this in terms of student experience is that the student can simply watch your presentation as a video without needing to click through the slides, and any animations, etc. that you've added to your presentation will be in tact as opposed to the static slides of the presentation lesson type.

There are some excellent screen recording softwares out there that allow you to create and edit professional quality videos - e.g. check out Screenflow (Mac only) and Camtasia. There are also some free softwares for this too - e.g. did you know that Quicktime (which comes pre-installed on most Macs) includes screen recording functionality?

3. Interactive content

If you've created an interactive presentation that includes buttons, animations, quizzes, etc. then, provided that you have it hosted somewhere online, it can be included in your course using the multimedia lesson type.

Examples of this kind of content that we have customers on Thinkific using include lessons created on Adobe Captivate, Articulate Storyline, iSpring, Prezi, and more!

If you don't already have your content hosted online then we are able to host any content available in HTML5 format as part of the Business plan and above.

Got another kind of presentation content, and you'd like to know how it would work on Thinkific? Simply leave us a comment below :)

Hi.

Here, for what it's worth, is my process for creating a voice-over ontop of a powerpoint or Keynote presentation that you already have. Best way is to record the audio and video streams separately and then combine them together: Otherwise you'll spend ages and ages getting the two to align:

1) create your ppt or keynote presentation.

2) use your favourite audio programme to record the voice-over as you look at your slides

3) playback the audio as you record the video (both PPT and Keyonte allow you to record a slideshow, just turn the audio off)

4) pull both into a video-editing package such as Camtasia

5) overlay the audio and video. If you did a good job, there'll be little editing to do apart from maybe a fade-in & fade-out to the video

I guess I could do it for you for a fee :))

HTH

Jonathan

2 people like this

Will the URL of the multimedia content hosted elsewhere be visible to the student? If it is,can this not be shared with others not enrolled in the course, unless we configure another way at the other site of restricting the content only to Thinkific-enrolled students. Please advise. Thanks.

Hi Celito,

The link to where the content is hosted won't be visible if you're using the multimedia lesson because the content is simply i-framed into the page.

If you'd like to see how it works, I'd recommend giving it a quick try with a piece of test content. And just let us know if you have any questions at all :)

Thanks!

Catherine

Thanks Catherine. I tested a few Storyline files hosted in Amazon S3 and it is reassuring to know that no urls to the files are visible, or can be shared outside of the Thinkific environment. Great!

Hello Catherine,

Thank you for the information. I've tested it with some Storyline files in Amazon S3 and confirm what you advised.

On another note, is it possible to get paid for courses on a Starter plan? I've been reading about transaction fees for the starter plan, I don't know how this works because it seems I can only offer free lessons on this plan. I cannot activate PayPal integration, although there is a button to upgrade. Any clarification will be helpful. Thanks again.

Celito

Hi Celito!

You absolutely can take payment for your courses - you just need to have a Stripe account linked to your site. More on that here

Thanks!

Catherine

Thanks Catherine for the reply. I'm getting a clearer picture now of what my available options are. Stripe is not available in my part of the world, and it's either I consider an upgrade to be able to use PayPal, or if still on the starter plan, to consider other arrangements outside Thinkific and manually enroll students. The starter plan is feature-rich in itself, except for the Stripe limitation in my country. I also noticed that in the Starter plan, the only option available in the Pricing menu is for a Free course. Is this a limitation also in the Starter plan? If I were able to arrange any other payment scheme, how would Thinkific implement the 10% transaction fee? And finally, will the course be labeled as such (Free) when it is finally published? I ask because I might have a lot of explaning to do if I arrange payment for something posted as free. Thank you for your patience in answering these questions.

Hi Celito,

I'm going to send you an email about this. We'll get the best solution figured out for you.

Thanks!

Catherine

Is it possible to publish documents, PPT or PDF, with more than 20 pages?

Hi Isaias!

If you're using our presentation lesson builder, then there is a limit of 20 slides per presentation at this point in time. In general, it's best practice to keep your lessons fairly short (i.e. 5-7 minutes), so if you have a presentation that's longer I'd recommend splitting it out by topic.

Happy to help if you have any further questions at all!

Thanks,

Catherine

Thanks for your promptly reply.

Login to post a comment